Jewelry is a great way to accessorize your outfit and express your personality. But how do you know which metal suits your skin tone best? Should you go for gold or silver? Or maybe both?
In this article, I will explain how to determine your skin tone and undertone, and how to choose the right metal for your complexion. I will also give you some tips on how to mix and match different metals and styles to create a stunning look.
- 1 What is skin tone and undertone?
- 2 How to determine your skin tone and undertone?
- 3 Choosing Gold Jewelry by Skin Tone
- 4 Finding Your Best Silver Style
- 5 How to mix and match different metals and styles?
- 6 How to Choose the Right Jewelry for Your Outfit Color
- 7 How to Style Gold and Silver Jewelry with Different Necklines
- 8 How to Care for Your Gold and Silver Jewelry
- 9 FAQs
- 10 Conclusion
What is skin tone and undertone?
Skin tone is the surface color of your skin, which can vary depending on your ethnicity, sun exposure, health, and age. Skin tone can be classified into four categories: fair, light, medium, and dark.
Undertone is the subtle hue that lies beneath your skin, which does not change over time. Undertone can be classified into three categories: cool, warm, and neutral.
Cool undertones have a pink, blue, or purple tint to them. Warm undertones have a yellow, peach, or golden tint to them. Neutral undertones have a balance of both cool and warm hues.
- Related: Silver Chains To Wear With A Pendant
How to determine your skin tone and undertone?
There are several ways to find out your skin tone and undertone. Here are some of the most common methods:
- Look at the veins on your wrist. If they appear blue or purple, you have a cool undertone. If they appear green or olive, you have a warm undertone. If they appear blue-green or hard to tell, you have a neutral undertone.
- Hold a white piece of paper next to your face. If your skin looks pale or washed out, you have a cool undertone. If your skin looks tan or healthy, you have a warm undertone. If your skin looks neither pale nor tan, you have a neutral undertone.
- Try on some jewelry. If silver jewelry makes your skin glow, you have a cool undertone. If gold jewelry makes your skin glow, you have a warm undertone. If both silver and gold jewelry look good on you, you have a neutral undertone.
Choosing Gold Jewelry by Skin Tone
If your analysis indicates warm undertones, here are some gold tints to try based on specific skin tones:
Light or Fair Skin
Those with fair skin look best in yellow gold – it creates a pleasing contrast against lighter skin. Stick to 10k or 14k yellow gold to avoid looking washed out. Rose gold can work too.
Try rich yellow gold like 14k or 18k if you have olive or medium-toned skin. The darker hue complements and enhances medium complexions beautifully. Rose gold is another stellar option.
Dark or Deep Skin
Opt for a high karat yellow or rose gold if you have dark or deep skin. 18k and 22k gold pairs gorgeously with the warm glow of darker complexions. Stick to yellow or rose rather than white gold.
Finding Your Best Silver Style
For those with cool undertones, here are some silver styles to try:
Sterling silver has a bold contrast against fair skin that makes eyes pop. Platinum is also splendid choice for its bright white hue. Avoid overly shiny finishes.
The glow of medium skin is accentuated with sterling or platinum silver. Try combining metals – say, silver earrings and a gold necklace. This can create dimension.
Olive complexions look fabulous with silver. Platinum has a sleek, modern effect while sterling silver brings out golden highlights. A brushed or matte finish reads sophisticated.
Darker skin is complemented with sterling silver or white metals like platinum. The lighter metals pop against deeper, cooler complexions. Go for polish or high shine to create a distinct contrast.
How to mix and match different metals and styles?
If you want to spice up your look with some variety, you can try mixing and matching different metals and styles of jewelry. Here are some tips on how to do it:
- Choose one dominant metal and use the other as an accent. For example, if you wear a silver necklace as the main piece, you can add some gold earrings or rings as accents.
- Use similar shapes or textures for different metals. For example, if you wear a round silver pendant, you can pair it with round gold studs or hoops.
- Use contrasting colors or patterns for different metals. For example, if you wear a plain silver bracelet, you can add some colorful or engraved gold bangles.
- Use a piece of jewelry that combines different metals. For example, if you wear a ring that has both silver and gold elements, you can match it with other pieces of either metal.
How to Choose the Right Jewelry for Your Outfit Color
One of the factors that can affect how your jewelry looks on you is the color of your outfit. Different colors can create different moods, impressions, and contrasts with your jewelry. Here are some tips on how to choose the right jewelry for your outfit color:
- Match or complement the color scheme. You can either match your jewelry with the dominant color of your outfit or choose a contrasting or complementary color that will make your jewelry stand out. For example, if you are wearing a blue dress, you can wear blue earrings or necklaces to create a harmonious look, or you can wear gold or silver jewelry to create a striking contrast. You can also use a color wheel to find colors that are opposite or adjacent to each other, such as purple and yellow, or green and blue.
- Consider the season and the occasion. Some colors are more suitable for certain seasons and occasions than others. For example, pastel colors are more appropriate for spring and summer, while darker colors are more suitable for fall and winter. Similarly, bright and bold colors are more festive and fun, while neutral and muted colors are more elegant and formal. You can match your jewelry with the season and the occasion by choosing metals and gemstones that reflect the mood and tone of the event. For example, you can wear silver and pearls for a winter wedding, or gold and turquoise for a summer party.
- Balance the intensity and saturation. Another aspect of color that you should consider is the intensity and saturation of your outfit and your jewelry. Intensity refers to how bright or dull a color is, while saturation refers to how pure or mixed a color is. You should balance the intensity and saturation of your outfit and your jewelry by choosing pieces that have similar levels of brightness and purity. For example, if you are wearing a bright red dress, you should avoid wearing dull or faded jewelry, as it will look washed out. Instead, you should opt for jewelry that has a high intensity and saturation, such as ruby or garnet.
How to Style Gold and Silver Jewelry with Different Necklines
Another factor that can affect how your jewelry looks is the neckline of your outfit. Different necklines can frame your face and neck differently, and require different types of jewelry to complement them. Here are some tips on how to style gold and silver jewelry with different necklines:
- Choose the right length and shape. You should choose a necklace that has the right length and shape for your neckline so that it does not clash or overlap with it. A good rule of thumb is to leave some space between your necklace and your neckline or to match the shape of your necklace with the shape of your neckline. For example, if you are wearing a V-neck top, you should wear a necklace that falls slightly below the V-shape or a pendant that has a V-shape as well. If you are wearing a crew neck top, you should wear a necklace that is either shorter or longer than the neckline, or a round pendant that follows the curve of the neckline.
- Mix metals to create interest and contrast. You can also mix gold and silver jewelry to create interest and contrast with your neckline. Mixing metals can add some texture and dimension to your look, as well as break up the monotony of one color. You can mix metals by wearing different pieces of jewelry in different metals, such as earrings, necklaces, bracelets, or rings. You can also wear pieces of jewelry that combine gold and silver elements, such as chains, charms, or beads.
- Layer multiple necklaces for a chic and modern look. Another way to style gold and silver jewelry with different necklines is to layer multiple necklaces for a chic and modern look. Layering necklaces can create a statement piece that draws attention to your neck and chest area. You can layer necklaces by wearing different lengths, shapes, styles, or metals of necklaces together. For example, you can wear a choker, a princess necklace, and a matinee necklace together for a layered look. You can also mix gold and silver necklaces together for a mixed metal look.
How to Care for Your Gold and Silver Jewelry
To keep your gold and silver jewelry looking its best:
- Remove jewelry before sleeping, exercising, showering, and cleaning. Even lotions and perfumes can damage metals over time.
- Clean jewelry regularly with mild soap and water. Investing in a jewelry cleaner is wise for regular maintenance.
- Store pieces in separate soft cloth pouches to avoid scratches. Wrapping in tissue paper inside a jewelry box also works.
- Take gold jewelry to a jeweler for regular polishing to revive luster and remove built up grime. Silver can be polished at home.
What Skin Tone Looks Best with Gold?
Choosing jewelry is often influenced by one’s skin tone. Gold is a warm-toned metal that complements certain skin tones better than others.
Best Skin Tones for Gold
- Warm Undertones: Skin tones with warm undertones, like peachy or yellow, tend to look great with gold.
- Olive Skin: The green undertone in olive skin pairs beautifully with gold.
- Darker Skin Tones: The richness of gold complements dark skin tones wonderfully.
Does Silver or Gold Make You Look Younger?
The color of the jewelry you wear can impact how young or mature you appear. Silver and gold have their unique effects.
Effects of Silver and Gold
- Silver: Silver is a cool-toned metal and often complements fair and cool-toned skin. It can offer a modern, youthful appearance.
- Gold: Gold is warm-toned and tends to lend a timeless, sophisticated aura that some might associate with maturity.
Factors Influencing the Appearance of Age
- Skin Undertones: As with the previous question, your skin’s undertones can make a difference in how young or mature you appear.
- Jewelry Style: Contemporary or minimalistic designs can appear more youthful, irrespective of the metal used.
- Personal Style: How you pair your jewelry with your outfit can also contribute to a younger or more mature appearance.
Can I wear gold and silver together?
Yes, you can! Mixing gold and silver can create a chic and modern look. Just make sure to balance the proportions of each metal and use similar or contrasting shapes or textures.
How do I know if I have a fair, light, medium, or dark skin tone?
One way to determine your skin tone is to compare it with the shades of foundation makeup. Fair skin tones are the lightest shades, light skin tones are slightly darker, medium skin tones are in the middle range, and dark skin tones are the deepest shades.
What are some other factors that affect how jewelry looks on me?
Besides your skin tone and undertone, some other factors that can affect how jewelry looks on you are your hair color, eye color, outfit color, and personal style. For example, if you have blond hair and blue eyes, you might look better with silver jewelry than gold. If you wear a red dress, you might want to choose gold jewelry to create a warm contrast.
How do I clean and care for my jewelry?
Different metals require different methods of cleaning and care. For example, silver jewelry can tarnish over time and needs to be polished with a soft cloth or a special cleaner. Gold jewelry can be cleaned with warm water and mild soap or a professional cleaner. You should also store your jewelry in a dry and cool place, away from direct sunlight and heat.
Where can I buy quality jewelry online?
There are many online stores that sell quality jewelry at affordable prices. Some of the popular ones are Amazon, Etsy, Zales, Kay Jewelers, and Blue Nile. You can also check out customer reviews and ratings before making a purchase.
Choosing the right metal for your skin tone can make a big difference in how your jewelry looks on you. By knowing your skin tone and undertone, and following some simple guidelines, you can find the metal that suits you best.
Whether you prefer gold or silver or like to mix and match both, remember that jewelry is meant to enhance your beauty and express your individuality. So have fun with it and experiment with different styles!
More From Miami Jewelry Co
- Different Types of Necklace Clasps
- Necklaces For Square Necklines
- Cuban Chain vs. Curb Chain
- Rope Chain vs Cuban Link Chain
- Box Chain vs Rolo Chain
Camila Luna is a passionate jewelry enthusiast and content creator at Miami Jewelry Co. With a focus on providing high-quality, Miami-style jewelry, Camila and her team specialize in a wide range of jewelry that includes bracelets, necklaces, earrings, and more